Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Box Renovation

Hi all!

I have been working on the renovation of a couple of boxes for several months now! Can't believe it has taken me so long, but everything keeps taking preference over a little paint job! Well, I just could not take these items hanging around any longer, together with the paint, brushes etc, so yesterday morning, I woke exceptionally early - 2 am!  - and after lolling in bed not able to sleep, got up and went through to my work room and my eyes fell on these boxes. I immediately picked them up, got the paint onto the brushes and worked away for half an hour. I had to stop, as I wanted a wire brush and did not fancy groping around Hubs garage so early in the morning, but did resume the job later in the day. I was totally thrilled with the outcome.

I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for the first time and am totally hooked on that paint! 
I have the 'before' and 'after' photo's below, so you can see what I have done. 

I bought the boxes from our local Mr. Price Home store and as you can see they were meant for the kitchen.
I have other plans for them so renovation was required!

I had already stuck the roses onto the box when I remembered
I wanted to blog this and needed a 'before' photo!
This was obviously a recipe holder.

I had not worked on this box, so the picture is definitely
a 'before' one!
I really liked the wood showing through, but was unable to sandpaper the stencilling off the boxes, so I had to paint over them. I used the Paris Grey shade and covered the front of the long box, including the roses and front and back of the tall box, as I wanted to keep the heart, but also wanted a rose on the box, so stuck it onto the opposite side and painted over both sides of the box. When it had dried, I took a wire brush to it, basically brushing off at least 60% of the paint and in some places going down to wood again. When I was happy with that, I dusted them off and dry brushed  Old White lightly over the rose and streaked some of the box as well. Not perfect by any means, as I have never done this before, but I am thrilled with it! I went back to the supplier, armed with the boxes to show them and ask their advice and they suggested that I highlight some of the high areas with silver, also dry bushing it on. This I have not yet done, but could not wait to share with you, what they look like right now.

How different with the roses!

I love this rose!

I know that the silver will make a huge difference and I will do that as soon as I can, but for now, the boxes are very usable, and my desk is clear of the clutter - yay! Getting there!

Just something different I thought I'd like to share with you. Also some Noah news! We have a family wedding in June and all my family will be in town. So excited as we will have 4 generations together and the oldest member (my Dad) will meet Noah for the first time! Can't wait. I will be sure to take lots of photo's and place them onto my Noah page. He is 14 weeks old already! How time flies!

Thanks so much for the visit and I hope you enjoyed my 'box' post! 
I have lots of cards etc. to blog about, but just need the time to schedule them all. 
Hope to see you all again soon.

Hugz and God Bless,
Moz

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, and do enjoy your family time at the wedding. And give Noah a hug for this Grandma Beebee from across the big pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job Moz! Love the boxes and the roses are so gorgeous. Enjoy the family and little Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just looks soooo cool Moz, fab alteration! That paint is amazing, isn't it? Great news, always nice to have a family wedding! Enjoy your weekend, hugs, Ira xox
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. So good to get feed back on my creative endeavours!
Hugz
Moz